Fitness. Working out. Getting healthy. Being healthy. Staying healthy! Feel the buuuuurn. A lot of people have a lot of different names for the activities they do to stay in shape. Mostly, I think it’s because we dread a certain word: exercising.
The prefix “ex” in itself is not a pleasant one. There are many words such as exorcize (Deamon possession is scary, ya’ll.) extortion, excommunicate…(Which usually happens to the pope…). Even an ex themselves can be a pain in the ass and hard to get rid of. But there are also some good words like excellent, example, exquisite, exciting…and I think we should get excited about working out!
Okay. So, that’s easier said than done. In any case, I’ve been working on my habits—eating carrots instead of potato chips and things like that. I think it helps when I look at it like, “Look how healthy I’m being!”, as opposed to, “Gosh, I just want to eat this other crap.”
Anyways, I thought I’d do a list on things I like to do and things that have never worked for me as a way to inspire you or just make you laugh!
1. I want to ride my bicycle! That song gets stuck in my head easily! Anyways, bike riding has always been a fun thing to do. I like feeling the wind on my face and doing a little sightseeing. Spinning or stationary cycling seems pointless to me—I would get frustrated with that really quickly. I definitely need to pull my spider web infested bike out of the garage, inflate the tire, clean it up, then go ride it around.
2. Yoga. Yoga is very..different. I wanted to see what it was all about, so I got this app on my phone to try it out. I only did it a few weeks, but it really stretches you out—sometimes I still do my more favorite poses in the morning when I wake up. It also has a lot of calming benefits, but is not for the adrenaline junkie. I think it’s really relaxing and helps your flexibility and might be good during the colder months when I obviously will NOT be going outside in the chill.
3. Running. Running is fun, but also tough on joints. It can help during zombie attacks where a speedy getaway is crucial. I like running, but not when it’s 90+ degrees out or below 0. That’s just ridiculous! I used to hate running in gym in high school. We would run circles in the cafeteria and as we would round a bend, sometimes I would just keep running straight for this one wall where I found a clever niche between another wall and a trophy case. I would hang out there for however long I liked…or until someone ratted me out. I actually managed to fall asleep during one gym class…don’t ask how that was even possible.
4. Dancing. Dancing is FUN. Key word being fun. Who likes to do things that aren’t fun? I think most people would pick dancing over other forms of exercise. I love playing Just Dance on my Wii, although Tim says I’m a dork. He’s just jealous of my mad skills.
5. Keeping busy. I think this one’s really effective—the trick is you just keep going and going and going (Energizer Bunny) and just doing normal, day to day things. Work, laundry, whatever. Sometimes, I’ll do crunches while I’m watching my favorite show on tv. If you keep moving, I tell myself, you will be deserving of a nap later. Be deserving of a nap.
6. Swimming. I didn’t get to do much this summer, but I love it! It’s always been fun for me to see how far I can go underwater without coming up for a breath. It has built up my lung strength…so maybe I will sing the National Anthem at that important thing I got invited to…I know I could, it’s just getting over fear, even though I’ve sang in front of people before, it’s just that most of them were drunk.
7. Climbing trees. This should be one! Except, I usually don’t do it much anymore…people tend to look strangely at adults in trees.